Matsumoto was born in Toshima, Tokyo, as the youngest child in his family. He has an older sister whose support of KinKi Kids influenced his decision to join Johnny & Associates in 1996. Thinking it might bode good luck, he sent his application to the agency on his elementary schoolgraduation day and received a phone call weeks later from president Johnny Kitagawa himself, inviting him to attend a rehearsal instead of being auditioned. Due to this, Matsumoto is frequently referred to as one of the elite within the agency.
Matsumoto graduated from Horikoshi Gakuen, a renowned high school known for its many performing arts alumnae such as Kyoko Fukada andAi Kato, in March 2002 at the age of 18
Like bandmate Sakurai, Matsumoto made his acting debut as a television actor in April 1997 in the TBS drama special Hoken Chousain (保険調査員 Insurance Investigator?). A few months later, he co-starred with the members of KinKi Kids and future bandmate Masaki Aiba in the mystery-thriller series Bokura no Yūki: Miman Toshi (ぼくらの勇気 Our Courage: Miman City).
Matsumoto gained further popularity as an actor in 2002 when he starred in the first season of Gokusen with Yukie Nakama, Shun Oguri, Tomohiro Waki, Hiroki Narimiya and Yuma Ishigaki. His portrayal of the troubled but highly intelligent student, Shin Sawada, drew acclaim and won him Best Supporting Actor at the 33rd Television Drama Academy Awards. He later returned with most of the original cast to star in the special epilogue episode in 2003. Soon after, his character also made a cameo in Sakurai's comedy series Yoiko no Mikata (よい子の味方 Ally of Good Children). In the same year, Matsumoto took another high-profile role in the live-action adaptation of manga series Kimi wa Pet as Takeshi "Momo" Goda, starring opposite Koyuki.
In 2005, Matsumoto took the most prominent role of his career to date when he was cast as Tsukasa Domyōji in the live-action adaptation ofshōjo manga Hana Yori Dango. Co-starring opposite Mao Inoue, Shun Oguri, Shota Matsuda and Tsuyoshi Abe, the series was a success with an average viewership rating of 19.6%. Matsumoto's portrayal as the air-headed and arrogant leader of four rich heirs won him Best Supporting Actor again at the 47th Television Drama Academy Awards.
In 2007, due to the success of Hana Yori Dango, it spawned a second season, which was an even bigger hit with television audiences as it had a peak rating of 27.6% on the final episode and an overall rating of 21.57%.Matsumoto won Best Supporting Actor at the 10th Nikkan Sports Drama Grand Prix for his role.The same year, Matsumoto starred in Bambino!, which won him his first Best Actor award at the 53rd Television Drama Academy Awards.
In 2008, he re-united with Bambino! co-star Karina for the drama special Myū no Anyo Papa ni Ageru (みゅうの足パパにあげる Myū will Give Daddy Her Legs?), which aired as part of the 24-hour Television telethon in 2008. He portrayed a man diagnosed with CIDP struggling to recuperate and return to normal life with his wife and young daughter. The drama special received a viewership rating of 25.6%.
In 2009, Matsumoto starred in his first drama series in nearly two years. He portrayed Vito Hayakawa (早川ビト Hayakawa Vito?), a half-Japanese, half-Filipino young man who always faces life with a smile in the drama Smile. Matsumoto subsequently won Best Actor for his role in the 13th Nikkan Sports Drama Grand Prix. Fuji TV announced on September 10, 2009 that Matsumoto would star in a three-part drama special called Wagaya no Rekishi (わが家の歴史 History of our Family?) scheduled to air for three consecutive days in the spring of 2010.
In January 2010, Matsumoto co-starred with the other members of Arashi in their first drama in nearly ten years in the human suspense drama special Saigo no Yakusoku (最後の約束 Last Promise?). Matsumoto portrayed Nozomu Gotō (後藤 望 Gotō Nozomu?), a 27-year-oldmotorcycle courier rider who is caught up in a building hijack. Matsumoto co-starred with Yūko Takeuchi in his first Getsuku drama titled Natsu no Koi wa Nijiiro ni Kagayaku (夏の恋は虹色に輝く Summer Love Shines in Rainbow Colors?).He also made a guest appearance on the final episode of bandmate Ohno's drama Kaibutsu-kun (怪物くん Little Monster?), which is based on the Fujiko Fujio's Kaibutsu-kun manga and anime series.
- Jun is one of the few talents that got into Johnny’s without an audition
- He decided to join Johnny’s because his sister liked Kinki Kids. (He did, too)
- At the time of Arashi’s debut, Jun was named “Comedy Leader”… (that idea has pretty much died now)
- Jun has a huge ring collection that makes it painful to give him high-fives
- Jun used to paint his fingernails; one finger would always be a different color
- He talks to himself at home; he says “Tadaima” (I’m home) when he walks through the door
- Jun (not Riida) does the ‘ganbaru’ cheer before concerts
- Out of all the members, Jun seems to change his hairstyle the most
- Jun wants to buy a pet dog
- Jun is really obsessed with his health.
- He took his work very seriously even in his Junior Days when he would spend time stretching instead of goofing off
- Of all the members he is the most directly involved with planning concerts
- Whether it comes as a surprise or not, Jun is quite interested in shoujo manga and reads it fairly often
- Speaking of reading, he’s also a fan of Harry Potter
- Jun prefers a really private life even when it comes to saying what the color of his curtains are, he’ll usually say, “Normal curtains”.
- Recently, Jun has not been seen performing backflips, and his proficiency to do so is seriously in question.
- Jun has a HUGE collection of hats and sunglasses. He wears them all the time so that people won’t notice him in the streets, but they do anyways.
- He’s expressed an interest in owning a dog like Nino’s (Shiba Inu)
- When writing text messages or mails, Jun typically includes emoticons and other symbols to give them a “cutesy” flair
- · His 17th birthday presents from Arashi: Electric Massager (Sho), Skateboard (Aiba), Self Portrait (Ohno) and 5 small turtles (Nino). Jun felt really happy that the members remembered his birthday.
· The places he would love to visit are Los Angeles and Las Vegas. Recently he was able to visit both -- Las Vegas, for the filming of Hana Yori Dango Final (2008) and L.A. for the advanced screening of his movie Kakushi Toride no San Akunin (2008).
· Although often mentioned that his blood type is "A", in technicality his blood type is really rhesus negative -- a very rare blood type.
· He is also nearsighted. On stage, screen, and magazines, he usually wears contacts. Outside his work and during his free time, he is mainly seen wearing a pair of glasses.
· He greatly admires Johnny Depp, Kevin Spacey, Leonardo DiCarpio, and Brad Pitt as actors. He also enjoys Kabuki.
· He considers Johnny Kitagawa (JE's founder) the biggest influence in his life.
· Surfing is one of Jun's hobbies. His so-called mentor is his senpai, Tatsuya Yamaguchi of Tokio.
· In ten years the job he would want to be doing would be to be the host of Shounen Club Premium.
· Aoki Kotomi, the author of the manga "Boku wa Imouto ni Koi o Suru", confessed being so excited that she nearly fainted when she found out that Jun was chosen to play the lead role of brother, Yori. She is a big fan of MatsuJun and named one of her manga characters "Jun" because of him.
· Jun often cries while watching movies. When he was younger, he watched the movie Forrest Gump with his family. Moved, he could feel the tears coming out already at some points of the movie, but because he was with his family he was embarrassed to cry in front of them. Finally, when he could no longer keep in his emotions, he ran out of the theatre and cried.
· When he first read the Hana Yori Dango manga, his favorite character was Hanazawa Rui. However, when he was given the role of Tsukasa Domyouji, he revisited the manga again and was able to identify with Domyouji's character so much that he admitted to crying while reading some parts of the manga.
· He didn't like the Hana Yori Dango curls as much as any of us because of the fashion problems it posed on him. When he was on set, it was fine because he had costumes. But once he was out, he couldn't find anything in his wordrobe to compliment his curly hairstyle.
· Little Jun used to idolize Sho Sakurai.
· Jun used to have a room so messy that sometimes when he slept, he would jerk awake when clothes fell onto his face. Now though, he has a clothesline above his bed, and he just grabs the clothes he wants to wear, saying its a lot more convenient.
· He is very picky about movie/drama scripts, and will only act the roles and scripts that interest him.
· Sato Atsuhiro is a very respected senpai of Jun. He feels that they are "fated" to be friends since they share the same birthday and hobbies.
· He is the first Japanese male to make it to the cover of Japanese Marie Claire magazine. The only guy to grace its cover in its 24 year history to have all been foreign superstars including David Bechham.
· He likes dry plums so much that he snatches them away from Aiba.
· His best friend in Arashi is Masaki Aiba. Other JE's, he frequently spends time with are his kouhais Nishikido Ryo and Akanishi Jin.
· Jun is quite a big fan of Harry Potter franchise.
· He's so close to bandmate Satoshi Ohno that he doesn't use honorifics anymore while talking to him.
· He enjoys baths and often spends hours in them, listening to music and relaxing.
· When he was in 2nd grade, there was an incident wherein he ran out onto the road and was knocked over by a van and was severely injured. Despite this, he was as chirpy and cheerful as he could be. So cheerful that when the ambulance came, he just kept apologizing to the man, saying he was naughty for running out onto the road.
· Jun became interested in JE when his older sister was in 2nd year of middle school, when she became a fan of Kinki Kids. Jun watched Kinki Kids with his sister, and decided to apply to Johnny's Jimusho (JE). He sent his CV on the day of his Elementary School graduation, thinking it may be of good luck. Usually applicants then receive a letter inviting them to audition, but Jun received a phone call directly from Johnny Kitagawa inviting him to a rehearsal in the old TV Asahi building. He is the only Arashi member who did not have to go to audition.
· Jun hosts Jun Style, a radio show in Japan.
· At the Arashi debut event on a ship off Hawaii, he had the job of holding a large flag. However, Sho mentioned later that because the wind was so strong, Jun was almost blown away.
· He really likes KichiToka's workroom's "Sound of Waves" and has watched it over four times.
· On his off days he likes driving out to the sea. He mentioned in his appearance on "Orhareism" that he usually drives there alone, and when he gets bored he rings his friends from if sea to arrange to meet up.
· He is good friends with his high school classmates, namely Shichinosuke Nakamura (Kabuki Actor) and Ryuhei Matsuda.
· He is Myopic.
· He wears contact lenses, frequently seen with spectacles.
· His sister is 2 years older from him.
· His chinese name is "Song Ben Run" based on his kanji name ( 松本 潤 ) read as 'Matsumoto Jun'.
- Current Location:Philippines
- Current Mood:busy
- Current Music:Hit the floor